As we enter student registration and summer programming signup season, we’ve received inquiries from a number of District staff members regarding Gmail sending limits. While most users of the District’s email system would never run into these limits, it’s important that staff members who are regularly communicating with large numbers of individuals be aware of the following limits:
If a user exceeds any of these limits, they will receive a message such as:
- You have reached a limit for sending email.
- You reached a Gmail sending limit.
- You exceeded the maximum recipients.
Tips for Sending in Bulk
Staff members can use the following strategies to avoid problems when sending emails to a large number of recipients:
- When possible, use the District’s Blackboard Connect mass communication system, PowerSchool, Canvas, or Remind for large-scale communications
- Send email to a group address rather than to individual recipients. While there are still limits in place for messages to groups, these limits are much higher than for messages sent to individuals. opens in a new windowYou can find instructions for how to create and use groups here.
- If the above options are not available, stagger large mailings over a two-day period.