In addition to our upcoming 1:1 program that will provide Chromebooks for all of our secondary students, we’ll also begin a process this fall to substantially improve our device availability in our elementary buildings. Continue reading Elementary Device Deployments
While I’ve written about this a bit before in a broader sense, I wanted to share some information about the network infrastructure and core upgrades that we’ll be implementing in the coming months. Continue reading Upcoming Network Infrastructure Upgrades
The district is currently experiencing internet performance issues related to a distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack. We are working to mitigate these problems, and expect to have normal internet performance within the hour.
I’ll post updates here as more information becomes available.
Due to recent changes to Google’s SafeSearch enforcement – a Google-provided service which allows, for instance, the exclusion of pornographic content from Google image services – the district will be implementing safe-search enforcement at the DNS level, which will force safe search for all devices using the ICCSD network. Continue reading Internet Content Filtering Change
Thanks to Chelsea Sims, Teacher Librarian at South East Junior High, for passing along these resources (below) for teachers who are looking for some Google-related training opportunities.
As more teachers are thinking about going 1:1, many have identified the need for some Google Training. The IDS Innovation team has gathered a few options together for interested teachers. I shared this list with the Teacher Librarians at the High Schools and Junior Highs to pass along to their staff, but wanted to share it with you as well.
- AEA PD Online offers tons of courses for recertification and graduate credit on integrating technology into your classroom. (Choose Technology Integration from the first drop down menu)
- Grant Wood AEA offers courses in Technology Integration as well, including courses specific to Google Apps.
- Set up your own learning plan on Atomic Learning, a tech training website provided by the AEA. Login with AEA credentials (3141xxxx).
- Also available are self-paced options created by members of the IDS Innovation.
- Install the GSuite Training Google Extension – then just click whenever you are using a Google tool to provide you with a variety of tutorials.
- Looking for a specific solution RIGHT NOW?? Try YouTube!
Self-paced courses specific to a 1:1 classroom environment:
- Brief Overview of a 1:1 Classroom (11 minutes)
- Classroom Management in 1:1 Environment (1 hour 3 minutes)
- Going 1:1 – Now What? (33 minutes)
- Time management and Distractions (43 minutes)
Several people – over Thanksgiving break, and again this morning – have posed questions to me about whether a focus on getting more technology in the classroom is well-justified. After all, tying technology infusion in the classroom directly to student achievement, for instance, is very difficult (although the same is true of virtually any initiative, the effects of which are difficult or impossible to fully entangle from other factors impacting students, teachers, and the learning environment. Continue reading Technology Access and Initiative Success
The message (below) was emailed to all ICCSD parents, and includes information regarding accounts and services provided to students.
In order to ensure that parents and guardians are aware of the technology services that the Iowa City Schools provide to our students, this is the first of what will be annual notifications regarding district-issued accounts. Continue reading Student Account and Service Notification
One of the nice things about being associated with a school – whether a student, parent, or staff member – is that you can often get better deals on technology than might be available to the general public. As we approach the holiday gift season, here are some tips for how to get deals on some products you might be looking to purchase this holiday season or before next school year. Continue reading Holiday Technology Shopping for Students, Parents, and Teachers